Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Friends Forever"

I chanced upon this word "friends forever" while texting Joey just a few minutes ago.

"Friends Forever" seems so "Primary School" like how she describes it. I recalled back and I realised I didn't have any of those "Forever Friends" that stayed till now.

Maybe it was due to the lack of technology like Facebook /Msn /Twitter that kept us together.

Maybe it was the lack of initiative that we didn't approach people and make them "real" friends.

Maybe it was due to the fact that we are enrolled into the Primary schools that were near our homes and we had no chance to get to know one another. The only aim in common was to - get home asap.

I thought I had this "real buddy" and "good friend" during Primary school days were she totally changed me. I was who I am, who you know me as of now. This outspoken and loud girl whom will do anything on earth just to make you smile. I don't mind being really ugly doing stupid actions and I don't mind being the one whom you could rely on in times of needs. That was me before I knew her.

She was such a quiet young girl whom I admire. She always had either of her parents sending her to school early in the morning and she would just reach school on time. She would wake up just minutes before school starts and that saves her alot of time. She never fails to attend school like I do and I would feel so lost not having her by my side. She had alot of things I admire. Her personality and her appearance and how the teachers would praise her name and how she would always score 1 mark or 2 more than me. We joined the same CCA, we eat lunch together, we get presents from teachers together, we work hard together and we got into the same class for 4 years together. She was this very soft spoken girl, those kind of student who will stand up and answer the teacher's question in a manner that the teacher cannot hear her. She did not have alot of other friends as well. We stayed together throughout our Primary school life and eventually got into the same Secondary School as 19 others in class.

There were 12 classes for each level in CCHMS and I in the same class as only one guy. She wasn't in my class. Yes I was sad, really sad because life had to make fun of us and assigned her to the class beside mine. We still met up to go school every morning and sometimes after school. As time goes by, I see her making new friends in her class and I was really upset. She started to ignore me, or I should say we started to have lesser things in common to talk about. We joined the same CCA at the start but I quited after a year. We lost contact after since. It was really quite sad because I thought our friendship would last like "forever". I just lost a "Forever Friend".

Ironically, friends in Secondary School actually lasts longer. I have this small clique of friends who will take the initiative to meet up at least once every year, even when one is not in Singapore currently. I rmbed how much I didn't like one of them. I will always talk behind her back, saying that she's selfish and blah blah but in the end we got along so well when I really got to know her better. The other 2 are really quiet people and I only got to know them better when I was allocated to sit with one of them in class. I even made her cry! But true friends are those who would take all these things are memories and things we could talk about in the future. Now, we will gossip about all the other people and also talk about things that happened in the past that are so so ridiculously stupid. We will laugh at one another and the things we actually did. Although we come from all backgrounds and we choose so different things in life, there is this string of thoughts and memories and the love we shared that brings us together so often, so bonded.

Nevertheless, I will never regret choosing Polytechnic instead of going into JC after my Olevels which I may already be an undergrad now. I made so many friends who will be there in just an sms or a call, so many that I can never finish typing their names here if I want to, so many that I can count upon, so many that I will never want to graduate from this school! Like the times we spent together became solid memories and the photos we took together became an album.

I cherish every single one of them, every single one of my friends. As I grow other, maybe I think "Friends Forever" is so much more suitable to describe the friends I have as of now.

No comments: