Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Dear Diary,


It was already 11.30pm when I reached my lift lobby after today's welcome party rehearsal. I was waiting for the lift and this old man (maybe in his 70s) came to stand beside me. He was holding on to a set of Chinese newspapers in one hand and a loaf of bread in the other. I went to press the lift button and waited for the lift to come fetch me. One from coming down from 4th and the other remained on the 13th. The old man turned to me and said, "that one didn't wanna come down, so we had to take this I think." I just smiled at him, without replying when he spoke in Teochew. The lift door opened and I went in first. I asked him in Teochew and asked him which floor does he stay in. He told me 4, in Mandarin. So the first thing came into my mind was, ok, you can speak Mandarin too, not bad. There was a few seconds of silence and then it reached 4th floor again, which is where he stayed. He turned back to me and told me, "Its good to be young. Look at me, I can hardly walk now." He gave me a smile after he spoke to me in English and then he walked back. I have no idea why, but his sentence sent me home thinking, its really good to be young.

No comments: